English Comp 50.1

Assignment Part 1 Ch. 2 Exercise 2- “Don’t Blame the Eater”

Part 1 Ch. 2 Exercise 2- “Don’t Blame the Eater”

In David Zinczenko’s “Don’t Blame the Eater,” he claims that there are no inexpensive and convenient alternatives to fast food restaurants. I disagree because in the last 20 years, restaurants such as McDonald’s do offer healthy alternatives with their meals. One can order apples or milk instead of the fries and soft drink. Other restaurants like Subway have definite calorie minded menus and have the calorie intake on their napkins. You can even go to grocery stores, Wal-Mart and many major malls and purchase a bagel and banana cheaper than a burger and fries.

Is being overweight a genuine medical problem or a problem of cultural stereotypes?  No matter what side you support, being overweight is a health and medical problem. Being overweight is not only found in teenagers that eat fast food two times a day, but it can be found in adults as well. Lack of exercise in this day of age is also a major factor of the overweight society. Overweight people are observed in all age groups, occupations, and genders. Families with a history of diabetes may not be overweight from eating fast food. It is truly then a medical issue.

12 Comments »

1. mcduffiet50s1 Said,

May 18, 2011@ 2:03 pm      

i agree why is it appropriate to tell a smoker he is unhealthy but not someone who is overweight?

• warchibald Said,

May 22, 2011@ 2:04 pm      

Answer your own question don’t just leave it hanging.

2. mengeld50s1 Said,

May 18, 2011@ 6:02 pm      

I would definitely have to agree with overweight being a health and medical problem. I would say majority of the population that is overweight is overweight because of poor dieting and poor exercising habits. However, that is not to say that all cases are the result of poor dieting. Like Christopher says above diabetes can cause weight gain. Birth control may have weight gaining side effects along with other types of medications.

3. vidalt50s1 Said,

May 18, 2011@ 2:46 pm      

I also disagree with David Zinczenko’s statement. You express many valid examples where healthier alternatives exist throughout the fast food industry. In many cases, we also see grilled chicken being offered as well as its unhealthy counterpart breaded chicken. It’s all up to the consumer to decide what to order, but the options are out there.

4. griffinm50s1 Said,

May 18, 2011@ 3:26 pm      

I agree that being overweight is a medical issue. Countless research studies have shown links between being overweight and increased risks for such health problems as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Cultural stereotypes are present against overweight individuals, however the true concern is the medical problems that can and usually are produced by an individual being overweight.

5. HoopesE50s1 Said,

May 18, 2011@ 4:51 pm      

In response to “Don’t Blame the Eater”.

I agree with you, but I must also dis-agree. Although McDonalds offers healthier foods, sometimes what they put with it may not be healthful to someone who is gluten-free or if they are watching their weight. Those eating salads often ask for dressing to go with, which has hidden calories. For someone who is on a gluten-free diet, they may not be able to buy the salad, because of the croutons in the salad. Croutons contain gluten – wheat – so someone may be forced to buy something that is less healthier.
    On another note, Subway is up-front about all the calories in their foods. You can either choose to eat healthier, or not. It really depends where you go and whether, or not, they have to be on a specific diet. So even if a place offers something healthy for most people, it may not be for others.

6. smulcahy Said,

May 18, 2011@ 9:36 pm      

I agree that being overweight is a cultural problem caused by unhealthy eating and a lack of exercise. People of all types of medical histories can be overweight. Diseases such as diabetes and thyroid problems can cause people to be overweight; however the rise in obesity in the United States corresponds with unhealthy trends that are progressing rapidly.

7. aumente50s1 Said,

May 19, 2011@ 11:19 am      

Although I agree completely that being overweight can be a genuine medical problem, especially in cases of severe obesity, I would argue that the stereotypes of our culture have wildly distorted the meaning of the word “overweight.” In many African and Hispanic cultures, ten extra pounds on a woman is something to be praised, where in our culture those few extra pounds are criticized. It seems that what the term “overweight” really boils down to is a matter of perspective.

8. smeltzr50s1 Said,

May 19, 2011@ 3:13 pm      

I agree with you saying the being overweight is a medical problem for all of society, but offering apples and milk isn’t going to help much. The idea of burgers and fries is engraved in our brains now and to change that drastic changes will have to occur.

9. evastonk50s1 Said,

May 19, 2011@ 4:19 pm      

I agree that being overweight is a medical problem for people. It is a cause of all sorts of problems too such as diabetes and other health issues. So being overweight is not a matter of just looking different from the way society expects you to look, but it is a real health issue.

10. vladams1 Said,

May 21, 2011@ 2:43 am      

I agree with you that obesity is a big health problem. People lack whats needed to keep your weight at an acceptable level. Its getting to the point now that its not the minority group but the majority. They are found in all different groups i.e. age, genders occupations. etc.

11. hansonj50s1 Said,

May 24, 2011@ 7:28 pm      

I have to agree in that the article written by David Zinczenko’s called “Don’t Blame the Eater” where he says that there aren’t any inexpensive and convenient alternatives to fast food is . I have to agree that this is a false statement because fast food has gotten more healthy choices. You can now go to such fast food places as McDonald’s and get a salad instead of a burger. Also you can replace your fries with apple slices and even replace your soft drink with milk or juice.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI